Semi-Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Roland Tremblay Ski Jump Complex
In 1967 a small 20 meter hill was set up at Newport High School. An additional K32 was then built in 1972. The 30 meter tower moved here from Lake Placid, NY in 1976 and has yielded champions at the national and international level.
Today only the K10 and K30 are used for competition once a year and lack of snowmaking makes it difficult.
Gunstock Ski Area
Jumps: K18 (operating), K26 (out of order), K50 (destroyed), K87 (out of order)
Life: 1937 – 2004
History: With the inauguration of the new 60-meter jump in February 1937 until early 1940’s huge crowds flocked to watch jumping competitions at the Belknap Mountains Recreation Area in Gilford, NH, known today as Gunstock Mountain Resort. The ski jumping hill was built by Hussey Manufacturing Company of North Berwick from summer 1935 onwards.
Norwegian immigrant Torger Tokle set the hill record of 251 ft. (76.5 m) on “his” ski jump in 1941, a record that stood for 35 years until the enlargement of the hill. The jump was named in memory of Tokle in March, 1946, after he was killed during the Italian Campaign of World War II one year before.
The two smaller hills were already added in 1937-38, while K50 was constructed in 1949. After the larger hill was enlarged in 1976, the Gunstock Ski Area had been in use with all four hills K87, K50, K26 and K18 until 2004. Since the heritage of Torger Tokle was about to dilapidate, “Gunstock Mountain Historic Preservation Society” has taken over the preservation of the ski jumpings hills in 2009. Already for the 70th anniversary of Torger Tokle’s record jump on March 9, 2011, the large jump was rededicated to him and a memorial sign board installed. The modernization of the jumping hills for more than 1 million Euro started in 2012.
Efforts are being made to become active again.
Saxtons River, VT
Status: Privately Operating
History: The great traditional times at Vermont Academy have been passed some generations ago, but at that time it was one of the leading ski clubs in eastern United States. In the past there was a 40 meter hill, famous for its very long takeoff, and also two smaller hills about 100 m apart.
The renovation of the inrun tower of the new facility was made with the material of the old one, the takeoff was shortened, close to it two smaller hills were set up. For the landing hill profiles a lot of soil had to be moved in the outrun area. Furthermore a snowing machine, a small lift and also floodlights were installed. With the opening in 2003 people expected a successful reinforcement of ski jumping, but the development only goes very slowly.
Connecticut Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Colebrook River Ski Hill
History: In 1934 in Winsted, Connecticut, a ski jumping hill was built, allowing jumps of more than 60 meters. It was designed by the local jumping star Anton Lekang. In 1950 a reservoir was created on the river flowing near the ski jump, which put the facility partly under water.
Maine Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Belfast Ski Area
History: Small 15-meter ski jump was operating in Belfast Ski Area from 1967 to 1973. The ski area was built as a community project, had also a alpine skiing course with a rope tow and hosted some school ski meetings. It was closed after just 6 years due to problems with the lift’s engine (which was donated by a local shop) as well as problems with rope constantly being destroyed by teenagers who believed that they could smoke it, since it was made out of hemp.
Sunday River Ski Jumps (Gould Academy Ski Team)
Jumps: K10, K20, K30
Closed: early 1980s
History: Skiing competitions at Gould Academy have a very long tradition, because this private high school at Bethel was already founded in 1835 and has always been one of the main skiing education centers of Maine.
In 1930’s ski jumping was performed on “Anderson Hill”, but there only distances of 20 meters were possible. When the first ski team was set up in 1939 and Gould Academy could make the three mile away Barker Mountain area accessible for winter sports, Sunday River Skiing Areas was developed there including a 30 meter ski jumping hill. The area was easy to reach by cars and busses already in those times and during High School competitions nearly the whole parking lot was filled up. The peak of ski jumping activities was reached in 1950’s, when the enlarged ski jumping hill, which was situated beside a swan farm, had a rope tow as one of the first ski jumps at all. Ski jumping practising and competitions were kept up until early 1980’s, also on an additional 10 meter training hill beside the sports field of Gould Academy. In 1990 floodlights were installed to support Alpine skiing and especially reanimated ski jumping activities, but this success was not enduring. Today winter sports activities at Gould Academy are only alpine skiing, cross-country and snowboarding.
Hurricane Ski Slope (Yarmouth High School Team)
Status: Destroyed (year not known)
History: Nordic skiing was introduced to Hurricane Ski Slope area in Falmouth in 1973 thanks to Yarmouth High School ski team. At the time 9 team members under guidance of their coach William H. Richards III built a 6.5 km cross-country course and 20-meter ski jump. The ski jump was built with help from Marines and private contractor who did bulldozing but other works were done by young athletes.
Stark’s Hill Ski Jump (Fryeburg Academy Ski Team)
History: In the summer of 1960 Erlon “Bucky” Broomhall became a biology teacher at Fryeburg Academy. The school already had its own ski team and an alpine skiing course at the time. Shortly after coming to town, Broomhall accepted the role as coach of the Fryeburg Academy Ski Team. He didn’t waste time and soon started developing skiing in Fryeburg. One of his first ideas was to host the 1961 State of Maine Class A state championship ski meet at Stark’s Hill. To do that it was necessary to built a course for cross-country skiing and a ski jump. Shortly after finishing a 3 km course, works on the ski jump site started. The artifical K20 hill was built according to plans prepared by United States Ski and Snowboard Association. The outrun was located on a steep slope so it was flattened during works – otherwise ski jumpers would even have gained more speed after landing. Even though Broomhall already left Fryeburg in 1962, Stark’s Hill ski jump was operating until late 1970s when high school ski jumping program in the state of Maine was cancelled. The hill record was at 72 feet (22 m).
Mount David Ski Jump (Bates College)
History: The ski jump on Mount David in Lewiston was opened on January 1923 under the direction of Mr Woodward. The small wooden take-off allowed jumpers to achieve distances around 20 metre. The hill had been used by students of nearby Bates College for many years. Nowadays there are no remains of the former facility.
University Ski Jump, Maine Outing Club
History: In 1921/22 a ski jumping hill was built by the University of Maine on the banks of the Stillwater River in Orono. The inauguration took place from 9th to 11th February 1922 as part of the first annual winter sports carnival. Back then, ski jumping was an important part of winter sports activities on campus and very popular.
In 1961 the ski jump located at the cemetery on Bennoch Road was realigned. Presumably, it only was then used only until 1976, since then the property was sold.
Pinnacle Ski Club
History: Pinnacle Ski Area in Pittsfield, Maine also had a ski jump in the past. An artifical inrun structure was used probably during 1960s and had a common outrun with an alpine skiing course. The inrun was located just by a characteristic water tower, but both were dismantled during later years.
Black Mountain – Chrisholm Ski Club
Jumps: K15, K25, K35
Closed: World War II
History: Rumford’s Chisholm Ski Club dates back to circa 1923, when a ski jump was constructed on Spruce Street. A ski tow was later added to the area to support alpine skiing. World War II took the community’s focus off maintaining its ski complex, resulting in the loss of the jump ramp.
Massachusetts Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Ayer Ski Jump
History: In early 1930’s a group of ski jumpers around the US national champions Anton Lekang and Strand Mikkelsen was looking for an appropriate hill in New England for the construction of a new large hill ski jump. Finally both discovered Pingry Hill at Ayer and in 1935 the Ayer Ski Hill with an enormous 70 meter high wooden trestle was built up, the total height difference of this ski jump was at 216 m!
On January 25, 1936 Anton Lekang made the very first leap, but he fell roughly and broke his ankle. One day after the official opening, tournament was hosted and thousands of spectators came to watch, but the persons in charge had expected even 20,000! In February 1936 some more competitions were hosted even under floodlights, but in August 1936 a wind storm destroyed the giant inrun tower and the ski jump was never rebuilt.
History: In 1948 the Scandinavian immigrant Donald Erickson made his dream come true and started to built up a ski jumping hill at Bolton. After two years of hard work Norseman’s Hill, which even was equipped with a rope tow for ski jumpers and an artificial snow machine, could be inaugurated and the founding of Bolton Ski Club was an evidence of increasing interest for this ski jump. In 1950’s numerous competitions were attended by large crowds, but then in 1957 ski jumping activities at Bolton came to an end.
Boston Garden Ski Jump
History: The Boston Garden was a multipurpose arena built in 1928 at North Station in Boston, which was used as a home ground by the Celtics and the Bruins. Walter Brown, the manager of the indoor stadium, began in December 1935 with the construction of an artificial ski slope and a ski jumping hill in order to organize the first “Winter Sports Carnival”. With up to 12,000 spectators, the event was a huge success and in the following years, at least until 1938, it was usually held over several days.
The Boston Garden was demolished in 1995 and the TD Garden was built right next to it.
Easton Ski Jump (Eaglebrook School)
Status: Privately Operated
History: Eaglebrook School is a boarding school located on Pocumtuck Ridge in Deerfield, MA. It has its own private ski area, called Easton Ski Area, which also includes two ski jumping hills. The ski area was founded in 1923 and in winter 1924-25 the first winter carnival was held – including ski jumping. The ski jumps were moved to the current location and rebuilt in the mid-1970s by Robert “Bob” Easton, who was the long-term head of Eaglebrook’s ski program from 1948 to 1980.
Punkatasset Hill & Middlesex School Hill
Jumps: K15 & K25
History: There was once a small ski slope with a ski jump on Punkatasset Hill north of Concord, Massachusetts in the 1920s and 30s. Even Norwegian top jumpers are said to have been there around 1927.
From 1935, there was a company in Concord, which is actually not a winter sports resort, which was dedicated to the manufacture of ski bindings. The Dovre Ski Binding Company was founded by the Norwegian immigrants Leif Nashe and Odd Overgaard and was at times well known for the quality of their bindings. The two are also said to have been responsible for training young ski jumpers and the construction of the smaller ski jump at the Middlesex School, which was destroyed by a hurricane in 1938.
Blue Hills Ski Jump
History: A 100-feet ski jumping hill was opened in January, 1929 in Blue Hills Reservation Park in Quincy, a southern suburb of Boston in Massachusetts. Total cost of constructing 2 skating ponds, toboggan runs, ski jump and warming house was $854 – only 2/3 of the budget assignated by Metropolitan District Commission. From 1929 to 1937 famous “St. Moritz Winter Carnivals” were organized there, attended by thousands of spectators. Though the ski jump was abandoned later, there are still remains of this facility near St. Moritz Pond.
New Hampshire Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Dartmouth Outing Club – Dartmouth Golf Course Jump
History: Dartmouth Outing Club of Dartmouth College near Hanover, NH was founded in 1911 by Fred Harris, the initiator of ski jumping in Vermont and New Hampshire. Since the construction of the ski jumping hill the “Dartmouth Winter Carnival” has taken place very year until today.
The photo shows the last competition on Big Hill, before the jump was destroyed in March 1993.
Russell Pond Ski Jump – Concord Ski Club
History: At Concord in the U.S. state of New Hampshire Russell Pond Ski Area at today’s Penacook Lake was opened and a small ski jumping hill was constructed, too. In 1948 this ski jump was renovated, but already five years later the whole little skiing area was given up.
New York Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Allegany State Park Ski Jump
Jumps: K30 and K50
History: From 1933 to 1941 the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed numerous sports and leisure facilities at Allegany State Park in the far west of the State of New York. Among these were also two ski jumping hills with a mighty stone-made take-offs, which can be seen still today. Numerous competitions took place on the K50 and K30 between 1935 and 1979.
Bear Mountain, NY
Jumps: K20 & K45
History: From 1930’s on Bear Mountain in New York State was the ski jumping center of whole USA and there more competitions were hosted than anywhere else. The place on Hudson River was candidate for organizing the 1932 Winter Games, which were finally given to Lake Placid, too. Still on 1960-01-16 more than 10,000 spectators came to watch the “Doerr Memorial Cup” competition.
Since 1990 the jumps haven’t been used any more.
Madison Square Garden III
New York City, NY
History: The 3rd Madison Square Garden in New York existed from 1925 to 1968 and was actually not in Madison Square. The first Winter Carnival with an artificial downhill slope and a ski jump took place there from December 9 to 12, 1936. The biggest attraction of the Winter Carnival in December 1937 were the two women ski jumpers Ella Guldbransen and Johanna Kolstad, who could easily compete with the men. The last event took place in 1938.
Maple Ridge Ski Jump
Old Forge, NY
Rochester Ski Club
At Rochester on Lake Ontario in New York State in 1930’s a large wooden 70 meter ski jumping hill was constructed. At a competition in February 1934 Alf Engen won.
Rosendale Outing Ski Club
Joppenbergh Mountain Ski Jump
History: The ski jumping hill at the back side of Joppenbergh Mountain in Rosendale, a small town in New York State, was designed by Harold Schelderup from Norway and built by Telemark Ski Club in 1936-37 to promote tourism. In July 1937, there was even a summer ski jumping event attended by over 3000 spectators, for which the hill was covered with straw, pine needles and borax. In 1938, the inrun was increased by 25 feet to allow for greater distances. After the last competition in winter 1941, the hill was enlarged again, but due to the Second World War it could not be used anymore.
It was not until the beginning of 1964 that the Rosendale Nordic Ski Club was founded and then the construction of a 70-meter hill began, which was completed in November 1975. There was even an artificial snow machine there. International greats such as Franz Keller (hill record), Giacomo Aimoni and Ludvik Zajc took part in the jumping event organized by the Rosendale Outing Ski Club in 1969. At the last competition in 1970, Hugh Barber from Middlebury College set several hill records in front of 3500 spectators. Due to bad weather and internal club quarrels, competitions could no longer be held and the hill was abandoned.
Blood Hill Ski Jump
History: At Blood Hill in Saranac Lake, New York, which was named after the local hotel owner Orland Blood, there was once for a certain time a ski jumping hill, of which no more relicts are visible today.
Little River Snow Bowl Jump
St. Lawrence University
South Colton, NY
Jump: K15, K40, K60
History: At private college “St. Lawrence University“ in northern New York there was once a student ski jumping team and a small ski jumping hill in “Little River Snow Bowl”. Today the jump is hardly recognizable.
Vermont Retired Ski Jumps & Programs
Latchis Ski Jump
Brattleboro Outing Club
History: Winter sports activities at Latchis Ski Park started in 1948. In addition to Harris Hill, which was already a 70-meter hill at that time, in 1952 John Latchis, Fred Harris and Terry Tyler built a 30-meter hill there. The ski jump was beautifully situated and had an attractive profile, but it was washed away by the snowmelt in the spring of 1953. Latchis Ski Jump was able to be restored through a great deal of work and heavy soil movements.
In the mid-1950s, the hill was threatened by the construction of the Interstate 91 highway. In December 1956, John Latchis succeeded in court, who ordered the planned motorway exit to be relocated so that the ski jump could be preserved – but the alpine ski area had to give way. The hill was very popular with young jumpers and was also the venue for numerous local championships. Over the years it was rebuilt and expanded. The last competition took place in February 1979. Today there is a shopping center on the site.
Maple Valley Ski Jump
Jump: K25 and K45
History: The Maple Valley ski area was established in 1962-63 by Terry Tyler together with his brothers and the North Haven Construction Company. It was located west of Dummerston, not far from Brattleboro. In addition to alpine runs and lifts, two ski jumps were built there to promote youth jumping.
Due to the lack of snow, jumping on ice that had been shaved from blocks of ice was held there for the first time in December 1964. In February 1967, the first New England night jumping took place at the Maple Valley. In 1968, the ski jumps were modernized, but only 1-2 years later they were deconstructed as part of the further development of the ski area.
Edward Gignac Memorial Ski Jump
Middlebury College & Ski Club
Jump: K15, K35, K50
History: The first trails and slopes of Middlebury College Snow Bowl between Middlebury and Hancock in Vermont were created by college students and local citizens in 1934-38. Since then the “Winter Carnivals” have been held. In 1936, the 50-meter “Edward Gignac Memorial Ski Jump” was constructed. Furthermore, there was a 15-meter hill and the 35-meter ski jump was probably added in 1968. In 1961 and 1973, Middlebury College organized the NCAA college ski championships with ski jumping at the Snow Bowl. The ski jumping hills were probably deconstructed in late 1980s, but the alpine skiing area is still operating.
Shony Hill Si Jump
Lyndon Outing Club
History: Lyndon Outing Club in 1947 moved to Shonya Hill and built there a 25-meter ski jump, which was later enlarged to a 45-meter hill. In 1972, the facility was bought by the city of Lyndon, renamed as Shonyo Park and the former ski jump was replaced by infrastructure for alpine skiing.
Elm Lea Farm Ski Jump
History: In 1936 a small skiing area including a 25 meter wooden ski jumping hill was opened south of Putney School in Vermont. Until 1980’s this skiing area was in use, then it had to be closed, because it was too small for keeping it running.
Stowe Civic Club
History: In 1921 the ski jumping competitions of the first „Winter Carnival“ were held on Marshall Hill at Mount Mansfield in Stowe, Vermont. The event at which also toboggan slide and ice skating competitions took place, attracted more than 2,000 spectators and was part of winters at Stowe for many years.